Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Discipline

There are lots of different types of discipline. There is the discipline of learning a new subject. There is the discipline of children. There is the discipline of maintaining a habit. However, the discipline I want to focus on in this post is what are called spiritual disciplines.

Not that this is a surprise to me, but it seems that the staff I work with at Park Chapel continually challenges me to look deeper and think a little more about who I am and who God wants me to be. This past week we talked in a meeting about what the catalysts are that move people through their spiritual journey from not knowing Jesus to being fully devoted to him. As I sat in that meeting I did what I often do which is introspect and think... "Where am I on this journey and what are my catalysts?".

As I have spent time thinking about this over the last few days I realized that I had already starting implementing one of the disciplines that could be a catalyst in my faith which is journaling. I have done this in the past, but something seems different this time. It's not a check list as much as I truly need a place to process my thoughts and feelings, whether they are raw emotions or a new idea. Either way it has been a great exercise and one I look forward to and find rest in.

Another discipline that was shared as a catalyst was a mentor. I have been amazed at Ethan lately as he has sought out people in his circle to mentor him. I have watched him be invigorated and challenged by these people and know that this is something that would be a benefit to me right now. So I have made that a prayer focus that God would reveal to me who he might have for me to learn from and be discipled by.

So the real reason for my post is just a curiosity that I thought might be a little too deep for a general facebook post. I am wanting to hear about the spiritual disciplines or practices you cherish in your own life. They may be disciplines or practices that have helped you grow in your faith in the past or they may be something you are doing right now. I am also curious if anyone can pinpoint catalysts they have had in their on faith walk.

These questions are really for my own personal reflection and nothing else, but if you have taken the time to read this I hope you might consider commenting and sharing the answer to one or all of these questions.

If you are not aware of what spiritual disciplines are they range from reading the Bible, prayer, journaling, solitude, meditating on scripture etc. If my questions only stirred up your own questions feel free to ask those as well and I will do my best to answer them.

Hunting Unique Rabbits

No comments:

Post a Comment